This document presents a methodology of installation and configuration for System Center Virtual Manager 2012.
VMM needs dedicated SQL server
1. First step
2. Installation options
3. Registration information
4. Licensing terms
6. Installation location
7. SQL configuration window
8. Account configuration
This is a domain account that will perform automated tasks in SCVMM . It should be first created in AD. Default permissions will suffice.
9. Port configuration
10. Self service portal configuration
11. Library configuration
13. Installation process
14. Successfully finished installation
VMM GUI description
VMM graphical interface is divided into 4 main areas below.
15. VMM GUI
Area A – different options depending on the choice in the area of B and C,
Area B – representation of the major groups of options after selecting the area of C,
Area C – main groups of options,
Area D – various information displayed on the basis of choice in the Fields B and C.
Main groups of options
VMs and Services
Here there are all the necessary features and options related to the creation and management services , virtual machines and clusters. Figure 15 shows just the appearance of it after the election in the area C ” VMs and Services”.
The area B shows an expandable tree that contains all virtual machines clusters and services . For easier management of multiple machines , you can create folders and grouping . The three lowest catalogs have just been created to group .
The area D shows depending on where you are in the area B different virtual machines and different information related to resource use and their status
Here are the tools you need to configure the virtualization environment
17. GUI Fabric
Create and manage libraries, profiles and templates.
It is a diary of events which are described in great detail all the activities carried out in and by the VMM . Errors are presented very clearly and shall be presented immediately recommended actions to resolve the problem.
Here are the options associated with the operation of the VMM
After the correct installation VMM must configure the basic things and those that are intended to enable us to continue working with the program .
Configuration of the start of the transition to ” Settings” > ” Security” > ” Run As Accounts ” and check if there is an account that we gave during the installation process . If it does not need to be added .
Next, we prepare a library. By default, the default library is installed on the VMM server and the installation process is one window in which we can point to its catalog . You can add libraries. Adding library involves identifying the server and there share located to be added to the VMM .
Adding a library:
21. Adding library
Enter a domain account that has the authority to share to add them to VMM .
23. Choosing of server
24. Choosing share
After successfully adding the library will scan and its representation as VHD files, ISO and other files recognized by VMM and used by him.
26. Files in library
To take full advantage of the functionality of the library should also make changes in AD . This is described in Chapter 6.
27. Adding clusters
28. Select location
30. Searching for objects
31. Choosing cluster
32. Placement of the cluster in VMM
34. Cluster after attachment
VMM Library configuration
In order to direct streaming ISO image to a VM machine rather than each time copying it to the Host on which the virtual machine that wants to use an image you need to configure permissions in AD .
To start sharing ISO follow these steps :
- Select a domain account as the VMM service account on the VMM server
- Configure the required permissions share and NTFS directory on the VMM library
- Make forced delegation for Hyper-V hosts
- Set up a virtual machine to use a shared ISO
Shared ISO can be added only after the creation of a virtual machine and not in the process of its creation.
VMM service domain account
Was created during the installation process
Configuring share and NTFS permissions
From the explorer windows permissions for share I NTFS should be set as follows .
- VMM service account must have permissions : Read Access,
- Accounts host computers on which to find the virtual machine uses the ISO ( in the case of clusters, all hosts from the cluster ) must have permissions : Read Access,
- In addition, you should still configure the delegation of authority to the CIFS protocol on all Hyper-V hosts . To do this, you must have administrator privileges domain . The configuration starts with the entry in the bookmark delegation computer object representing the Hyper-V host . Then select the ” Trust this computer for delegation to Specified services only” and “Use any authentication protocol .” Then click “Add” in the newly opened window , click on “Users or Computers” after selecting the computer on which the share is the VMM Library, displays a list of available services . Select cifs . This continues for all hosts that want to benefit from the individual libraries.
Creation of profiles and templates
Creating profiles and templates is also performed with the ” Library” .
Profile defines a hardware configuration that is to have a virtual machine (drives , memory, CPU , etc. ) , while the VM template defines the pattern ready virtual machine including an attached disk vhd ( sysprep or empty).
Select the VM Templates and click the right mouse button. Select ” Create VM Template” .
In the first window, we decide whether a new template is to be created from an existing VHD or is in the Library. It is best to do so on the basis of a VHD that is syspreped operating system of our choice.
36. Selection of VHD
37. Selected VHD disk
38. Template name
39. HW configuration
Jeżeli wcześniej stworzyliśmy już profil sprzętowy można tutaj z niego skorzystać, jeżeli nie należy ręcznie ustawić wszystkie opcje.
40. Selection of profile
41. Application profile
43. Created profile
We choose the hardware profile and click the right mouse button. Select ” Create Hardware Profiles” .
44. Profile name
45. Option selection
In the above, you make all the parameters of hardware or a virtual machine
- The number of virtual processors ,
- The amount of RAM , and that is to be dynamically allocated ,
- Configurations COM ports , FDD and GPU ,
- Configure the number of disks IDE SCSI ,
- Configuration quantities of network cards and network VM with which they are connected ,
- Other advanced options.
46. Added profile
Creating a Virtual Machine
By creating a hardware profile, and VM Template , create a new virtual machine is limited to the following
47. The window VMs and Services.
Being in the ” VM ‘s and Services” , click on “Create Virtual Machine”
48. Source selection
Select the appropriate VM Template.
50. VM name
51. Hardware configuration of VM
53. Selection of host for the VM
54. VM location
55. Network configuration
56. PRO options
58. Copy process of VHD via BITS
59. Successful creation of VM
60. VM view in VMM
Monitoring of machines and clusters
SCVMM allows you to monitor and view statistics load of clusters , hosts and virtual machines . From the ” VMs and Services ” You see the following parameters :
61. Monitoring capability’s
Adding the appropriate column can have a preview of parameters for individual virtual machines.
In contrast, switching from a view ” VMs ” to ” Overview” you can view the daily and monthly performance clusters and hosts for the consumption of CPU , RAM , network, and disk space consumption.